COVID-19 / NEW DHSC Essential Worker Testing Details / 26.04.20
Latest news from DfT regarding DHSC advice which if you’re working in logistics may apply.
Downloads available here with Department of Health & Social Care (DHSC) letter included
Please find attached a letter from the Department of Health and Social Care outlining how every essential worker who needs a test for coronavirus can get one. We recognise the importance of this information and therefore are circulating to a wide copy list. However, we may not have captured everyone and you may wish to cascade this information further.
As a reminder an essential worker includes transport workers who:
- Help keep the air, water, road and rail passenger and freight transport modes operating during the coronavirus response
- Work on transport systems through which supply chains pass
From now, essential workers can book tests for themselves and their household via a new online portal on gov.uk. This will make the process of getting an appointment quicker and easier, while reducing the burden on business. The online booking service will apply to England Scotland only, but full details on how to access testing in all nations and who is eligible can be found here:
We wanted to provide you an update as soon as possible, and would strongly encourage you to communicate this new service to your eligible workforce and colleagues. You may be aware that demand for these tests has been high. However, we strongly encourage you to advise your self-isolating staff to get a test if they or someone in their household have symptoms. More allocations become available each day.
If you need further guidance and support, please contact DHSC at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have a more detailed or specific question please do make us aware and we can work with DHSC to resolve this.
To help you communicate with staff we attach a package of materials to be used for colleague engagement:
- Letter from DHSC to employers and Scotland equivalent
- Information pack explaining the programme in brief and how to use the communications materials to inform your staff
- Q&A for employers; Q&A to answer staff questions
- Slide pack explaining how to use the employer portal & the employee portal to share with staff
- Infographic explaining how to book a test
This pack of resources, as well as a full campaign toolkit including digital and print assets for you to share and use to communicate with colleagues us available from the Coronavirus Campaign Resource Centre.
The DfT Maritime Team